My experiments with approaches at Stage 1.
As a student while being drilled into Hahnemannian, Boenninghausen and Kentian homoeopathy in my homoeopathic medical school it was always hard to digest other approaches.
It wasn't until internship while assisting experienced homoeopaths that I could see the difference between theory and practical everyday homoeopathy.
I found it was a very common practice in many successful practices to use Mother tinctures or a tissue salt or a therapeutic remedy at Stage 1 and 2 on a daily basis in dilutions or low potencies in conjunction with a constitutional remedy at Stage 3 in infrequent doses.
I remember being utterly frustrated in my second and third year trying to memorize those innumerable specifics and therapeutics for every possible condition in surgery, gynecology, obstetrics and medicine. It wasn't until I started practicing that I could see how they were such a great help to make those quick acute and keynote prescriptions.
Later as I ventured into the depths of delusion, sensation and source method at Stage 4 homoeopathy for many more years and somehow Stage 1 homoeopathy seemed to take a backseat.
So it would be fair to say that Stage 1 has always been an untapped territory for me for a long long time.
(To understand more about Stages with their approaches and its significance in simplifying homoeopathy you may consider reading my complimentary ebook the Quest for Simillimum - an overview. You can find it on the left side of this blog as you scroll down)
Compton Burnett and Stage 1
A part of my reluctance to go into Stage 1 approaches was due to the lack of a really good system for them. Although there were plenty of cases found on the net and in books on these approaches, very few specifically explained the process and framework behind these prescriptions.
Unless I was very clear about what I was doing, I remained hesitant to use them.
And then one day I started researching and reading Compton Burnett cases. It was fascinating to see that the spectrum of conditions he resolved using his approach stretched way beyond my understanding of the scope of homoeopathy. But more amusing was the fact that every case had been give at least a dozen remedies in rapid succession through the whole process.
Unfortunately no prescription was accompanied with any specific reasoning. It was then I decided to trace the origin of each prescription diligently to original sources. It was during this process that something started falling in place.
Next I wanted to find a good book for Stage 1 materia medica. Finally I decided to read the very book Burnett cut his teeth on. I spend a few months going through the entire manual of Richard Hughes's Pharmacodynamics. It was then that the whole concept and framework behind Stage 1 homoeopathy really sunk in for me.
Gradually I was ready to go through my own journey of using this protocol in my clinical practice.
Many of these experiments in my practice have been used in cases especially where Stage 3 and 4 approaches did not provide me the results I was looking for.
So let me share a case that has been a huge learning curve for me into the world of Stage 1 homoeopathy.
I will put together resources to train you on the exact protocol in much more detail at another time in greater detail but the intension of this blog is all about stepping out of our comfort zone and providing the patients the outcome they are looking for.
I would love to know your experiences with Stage 1 homoeopathy as well.